- Hello, Peter. Let's get back to the beginning of Ceremony, who was the main initiator of creating the group? Who came up with the band’s name and did you have any other versions to choose from?
- Hello Dima, I started a band called Casket (1987), after one year I started a new band with new musicians and I gave the band a new name called Ceremony.
- What was your first rehearsal place? At that time, was it difficult to get proper instruments and all the necessary equipment?
- Our rehearsal place was at Rotterdam that was in 1988, there was a drumkit and amplifiers for the guitars. A half year later I bought (I already worked) my own amplifier, it was a Marshall.
- In 1991 you recorded your first demo "Victims of Morbidity". What can you say about this one? Do you remember your feelings when you received your first record?
- It was amazing to record our songs, the sound was not very good at that time, but we had a lot of fun in the studio and it was the first step in the right direction.
- Did you have any following live performances? Where was your first ever concert? How did you promote your band and that Demo?
- After the recording we sent the Demo to different magazines and the response was very good. Our first gig was on the Queen's day in Rotterdam, it was such a great feeling to play there. Only the weather was very wet and cold, I remember.
- Next year you released "Inclemency" EP. How did you get the offer from Cenotaph Records to release this vinyl? Where did you record those 2 tracks?
- There was an interview in Mortician magazine with Roel van Reijmersdal (Vic records) and after that I came in contact with Alwin from Cenotaph records. Alwin told me that he was impressed by the Ceremony songs.
After one week Alwin called me with the great news that Ceremony can record two new songs for an EP on Cenotaph records, that was an amazing news for us. We rerecorded the EP in the studio HET PAND at Vlaardingen.
- Next year, in 1993, you released your debut full-length "Tyranny from Above". It consisted of 4 new tracks, and other 4 have already featured your earlier releases. Did you rework those tracks or where they pretty much ready to appear on the CD?
- For the CD we have reworked the songs, some riffs were different on the CD and we had a new singer Micha Verboom.
- Tell us about the recording process. Who was the producer? How long did it take you to get everything done?
- We had one week to record all the songs, and it was a great time with Frits van Maurik (producer) at studio HET PAND at Vlaardingen.
- Were you satisfied with the result? Did Cyber Music help you enough to promote this album and your band? What do you think now about this album?
- We were satisfied at that time, the sound was not very good but we had one week for the job, the contact with Cyber music was great and TED did a good job for us, and as the result we had a lot of gigs. I still like the album and the songs.
- How often did you have concerts? Was there any special concert worth being mentioned? Did you have chance to play outside of Europe?
- We played in the weekends, and had a great time withe MASTER, we did two gigs with them. We didn’t play outside Holland/Europe because all of us had a job and that was difficult .
- In a year you recorded one Promo which became your swansong. What was the reason for Ceremony to be disbanded?
- In 1994 we recorded a promo with three new songs for the second CD, short after that our drummer told us that he was sick and it was not possible for him to stay in Ceremony. We tried different drummers but it took a lot of time. Johan, our guitar player, told us that he went to Haarlem (place in the Netherlands). It was not nice that Johan moved, because he had to drive two hours. And so I made the decision to stop with Ceremony.
- Are you still in touch with other members of the band? Have you ever tried to reanimate Ceremony?
- Yes, we started Ceremony again after more than 20 years, we are making new songs and play a number of old songs.
- Do you still have all those records? As far as I know, none of your releases has ever been re-issued. Do you think that's possible one day to see all your records to be released once again? In one and fancy edition?
- Yes i have all the songs of Ceremony, and we have great news from Roel van Reijmerdal. He gave me a call and tole me that VIC records come with a release with all the Ceremony songs, including the first demo, EP, CD and 4 new songs. The release is planned after the summer.
This gives us a lot of energy to start again with Ceremony with 4 old members Micha Verboom vocals, Johan van der Sluijs guitar, Herminio Dacruz bass, Peter Verhoef guitar and the new drummer Guido Klap.
- Thank you for this interview, Peter. Would you like to say a few words to those who still remember Ceremony?
- Dima, thanks for the possibility that you will give us to tell the news about Ceremony in your magazine, all what i can say Ceremony will thank everyone for the support and we come with new material in the future.
GET YOUR COPY
OF THE NEW ISSUE