- Hello, Thomas! In December 2014 you released the new EP "Hatred Hell Within". First of all, are you satisfied with the result? What is the main feature of this release?
- Hello Dima and Tough riffs magazine. Yes, absolutely yes, we are very satisfied with the result of “Hatred Hell Within”. For the first time we can say, that all what concerns this EP, fits perfectly together. This time we wanted a perfect artwork which just fits perfect to our music and of course to the album title. Martin (bass) is also very into art and painting so he came up one day and threw out the name Federico Musetti. We just wrote an email and explained what we wanted to have and Federico came up with this really amazing artwork. I think this is by far the best artwork of all our releases and Federico will also do the artwork for our next release. What concerns the sound on HHW, we definitely wanted a brutal but also clear sound. For us it was very important that you can hear every instrument on this recording. We put so much time and energy into these songs and it would be definitely very sad if you aren´t able to hear for e.g. what the bass is playing. For our music, the bass is very important and we all love these recordings on which you can hear the bass guitar, not only mentioned in the booklet, oh there is also a bass on this album.
The only thing is that “Hatred Hell Within” was never planned as an EP. HHW was always planned as a full-length but many things happened in the last years. So now you have three new songs and I think 20 minutes playing time is not short for an EP.
- How did you like working with Christoph Brandes at Iguana Studios? Did you find the mutual understanding quickly?
- Working with Christoph Brandes was absolutely amazing. He has all to get a killer sounding Death Metal album. He has a very good studio, very good equipment and of course all the knowledge to get the best out of all this. Christoph was the first person we have talked about when we started to think about in which studio we will go. We knew him for all his great work on both Necrophagist releases, so due to the fact that our sound is a bit similar to Necrophagist we contacted him I think over a year before we went into the studio. We had a very good correspondence by email and I think with all the help from Christoph we were very good prepared for our visit in his studio. He is a very down to earth guy and he is also an absolutely Death Metal freak, so he knows how to handle technical Death Metal. What I have to necessarily add about his person, he is a perfectionist, too. I think for him it´s quite normal to work more than twelve hours a day. I think with our full-length we will also go to him, so if you are looking for a good studio, an amazing sound……get in contact with him.
- Does this EP signify that you guys also started working on a new album? Will it be some kind of extension of "Hatred..."?
- I think I have to explain what all has happened the last years and why we have released “only” an Ep and not as always announced from us a full-length. So let´s jump back into the year 2000. We have released our second full-length “Slaughtering Thoughts”. We did a lot of live-shows for this album in the years 2000-2002. I have to mention, that we all had and still have normal forty hours per weeks jobs and so it was sometimes very hard for us, to get home on Friday after the work and then jump into our van and driving many kilometers to the next gig. Sometimes we played only on Saturday, sometimes also on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. The next big thing for us was to be a part of the European tour with Cryoptopsy, Haemorrhage and Spawn in 2002. We played about 24 shows, one day off. For this tour we decided to release something new. So we recorded the 7`` “Humade Me Flesh” with also two cover versions from Death – Zombie Ritual and Terrorizer – Fear of Napalm. This vinyl was released by ourselves. 2003 and 2004 we continued to play live as much as possible but we know we should have a break and concentrate on writing new stuff.
To find the balance between rehearsing for live shows and writing new material is very hard. A big part was also to get all the correspondence done with all people over the world. Time is flying and so year after year has passed. In 2004 we had the amazing opportunity to play at the 2004 edition of the Maryland Deathfest. So we did it and some days before we got also the great chance to play with Misery Index, Exhumed and Uphill Battle in New York. Danny from Malignancy was helping us a lot to get all things managed there in the states. After we got home from this amazing trip we decided to make a break and concentrate 100% on writing new stuff. We had started writing new songs in 2002 but the writing process was very slowly because of playing all the live shows. What we didn´t know at that time, that this break would last eight years until we get back on stage.
Until 2006 we had written eight songs with a playing time of 60 minutes and this was always planned to release these songs as “Hatred Hell Within” but just the normal life took place. We got married, children were born and we made also further educations at school. I started a further education as electrical engineer in 2006 besides my normal work. This lasted ´til 2010. In these four years I had no time for Profanity. In these four years also two of our three girls were born. Armin (drums) did also a further education from 2008 ´til 2010.
Martin started also a new job but for us it was for sure, not to end up with Profanity. In these years we had some rehearsals but that was it. What we also knew, that we still had eight songs which was the best material we had written so far. 2011 we talked about, why not spend again more time for Profanity and record finally these songs. So we did it and it felt great. We all started to practice again and 2012 we had our first live show since 2004 in Swiss. This was absolutely amazing standing with my friends again on stage. Then we bought some recording equipment because for us it was sure that we will not be able to spend a week or two in a studio because of our families. We did all by ourselves at home, but this was also a very long and hard way. Every day come home back from work, then bringing the kids to bed and then start recording again. Maybe for only one or two hours, it´s not easy when you have little kids. But for us it was the only way to get our songs recorded. Until the end of 2013 Martin had recorded three songs. “Melting”, “Hatred Hell Within” and “I Am Your Soul”, but at this time everything changed again. Martin and his family got the opportunity to move to Australia, his wife is from there. It was a very hard decision and so they made it. We “lost” our friend and also our bass player and at this time we had also to cancel all shows which were already confirmed at that time. We didn´t know what to do, but we had great luck again. Daniel, who was already in Profanity from 2007 – 2010 was immediately ready to play the bass again in Profanity. We have never thought of this, but maybe this was destiny. We all talked about which way we shall go now. So we decided that we all wanted to play live again as fast as possible but that meant also that Daniel had to learn our live-set and we couldn´t go on with recording. This was the birth of the idea why not release these three songs which were already recorded! The cover was done at this time, I had still had to record some guitar parts and the vocals and then, that´s it. We got in contact with Rising Nemesis Records and Nasar also thought that this would be a good idea. So we did it…………..
So we still have six songs from that time with a playing time of forty minutes to record. This will be our next full-length “The Art Of Sickness”.
- The band exists since 1993, what makes you keep creating the music? Is it a personal need for you? Are you still enjoying the process?
- At the moment we have the comfortable situation that all the material is already written for our next release. We “only” have to record it but there are always ideas and riffs flying around. We collect all the ideas and so we will see. For myself, it´s maybe the best part playing in a band. Creating new music, letting the metal flow, being creative, that´s what I like. I really like writing new stuff and getting very deep into the song. You can do what you want to do, you can write a song from so many points of views. I think if you are infected by the virus called Death Metal, there is no chance of healing, one time Death Metal means Death Metal for life. As long as I will be able to play guitar I will also try to write good songs, that´s what I always wanted since I started playing guitar. There are still so many things to explore what concerns writing songs.
- What are your best memories of all the years you've spent playing with Profanity?
- Oh, there are so many great memories. I think our friendship of all band members is the best thing above all. We are not just a couple of guys who like playing Death Metal together, we spend also a lot of time together with our families and of course kids. It´s always such a pleasure when we all come together. Of course great moments were always when a new release is coming out, but to name a few…..we played with Cannibal Corpse, Krabathor and Devilyn 1998 in Munich. This was of course awesome for us. Both Profanity live shows at the Fuck The Commerce open airs here in Germany were great. Obscene Extreme was great, too. Mountains of Death with its great atmosphere and of course our show with Misery Index, Exhumed and Uphill Battle in New York and some days later the show at the Maryland Deathfest 2004. A very big thing for us was the European Tour with Cryptopsy and Haemorrhage. This was an amazing time but also very hard. Great memories I have also at this time when we started the band and also back to 2012, our first show since eight years. Until now we played four shows with Daniel and without him, it wouldn´t be possible that we can play live shows. It´s amazing to have him back and see him on stage again after all these years, he is a beast on stage with his “Reaper” bass. I really hope that we can even do this a few more years.
- How old were you when you decided to play in a band? At that time, could you imagine that Profanity would still exist in 2015?
- I started with thirteen years playing bass guitar. We were friends from school and we decided to start a band. So everyone said what he wants to play and I thought, bass guitar would be a good choice. But after a while I changed to guitar. Deep inside I always wanted to play guitar and my first guitar was a Fernadez Randy Rhoedes style guitar. Profanity was not my first band, before Profanity I played in two bands. The second one was called “Solace” and we also recorded a very cool demo. This was recorded at the studio where also Sinister had recorded their first album “Cross the styx”. The music of Solace was in the vein of Bolt Thrower, Massacre (us), Celtic Frost….very cool stuff. But I always wanted more the technical stuff.
At that time I was totally into Monstrosity, Death, Nocturnus, Cannibal Corpse, Suffocation…stuff like that. So I started my own band with the vision of creating my own style of Death Metal. In the beginning days it was not easy to find the right people but after some time, there came this Death Metal freak Martin and I had never seen in this area were we lived someone who played bass like him. This was so great. We both had also the same influences and also the same vision of Death Metal. Death Metal without any limits.
But, we also needed a drummer of course who is able to handle our vision of music. Destiny again…..one day Armin came into our rehearsal room. We had this very old drumkit and we told Armin, he could use it for this first practice. And we started and it was so a great moment, he was very good and this was the starting point of our vision come true. Armin was also a Death Metal maniac and so all went on. At his time, I didn´t make any thoughts about weather Profanity will still exist in 2015, now I know Profanity still exists in 2015 and we are having a very good time together.
- Playing Technical Death Metal means a non-stop progress and a constant improvement of your skills. What do you do to keep your play-style on a good level?
- This is easy to answer. We all in Profanity practice as much as possible, as a band and also each on its own at home. For myself, I always try to practice old and also new stuff. There still so many things and techniques out there which I want to learn. And now with youtube you have an endless source of new stuff, inspirations and so on, there will be no end. I also practice “boring” stuff, but I think this is very important to keep your fingers in good shape. A metronome is also essential, for every practice.
- All your songs have quite a difficult structure and elaborated riffs, but which song has the most tough riffs ever written by you?
- This is difficult to answer. There are some quite difficult songs on “Slaughtering Thoughts”, maybe this is interesting for you, we recorded all the songs on “Slaughtering Thoughts” in that order ow they were written. So the last song on “Slaughtering Thoughts” – When color becomes pallor is maybe the most difficult on that album. What concerns “Hatred Hell Within”, all three songs on this EP are quite difficult to play. Maybe “Melting” a bit less but the other two are difficult, for me. The other six songs which are still there are also very difficult, but that´s how we want it.
- How could you determine the lyrical aspect of Profanity? What are the usual concerns expressed through your songs?
- This is not an easy to answer question for me. Martin wrote all the lyrics for the EP “Hatred Hell Within”. The artwork of “Hatred Hell Within” reflects the content of the lyrics very good. I think everybody who is interested in our lyrics can read it, and make their own thoughts about.
- You announced some festivals attendance for this year. How do you like playing in front of a big crowd of fans? Do you think there will be some more dates added? Maybe a small European Tour?
- Since Daniel is back we played four shows. We started at the great NRW Deathfest, followed by a very cool show in Austria, Landeck and the last show for 2014 was at the Hellvetia Day in Sursee, Swiss, organized by our friends from the Metal Die Hard Front. In the beginning of 2015 we played in our hometown Augsburg and in two weeks we will play at the Frankfurt Deathfest. Then we will have a show in Munich with Entrails and also in April we will play at the Insane Insanity Festival headlined by Broken Hope and Internal Bleeding. A very cool highlight for this year will be our appearance at the Death Feast festival, headlined by Suffocation, Nile and Asphx, and believe me, we are so looking forward to meet all the guys of the bands and especially Nile and Suffocation. Suffocation are gods, Suffocation is Death Metal. There is another show confirmed at the end of 2015, this will be the Rape the Escape Festival in Vienna, Austria. Of course we like it to play in front of many people but we also like small club shows. When all are packed and people are freaking out, we also like it when people come up on stage and be a part of Profanity on stage! We are just a three-people band, so support is always welcome on stage. At the moment I don´t know if there will be more dates added, we will see. A tour or mini-tour is not planned. We have to keep a good a balance between recording new stuff and rehearsing for playing live shows and of course our families and our children. Doing all the correspondence also takes a lot of time, answering all emails or messages but we are used to it since so many years, even when there was no internet, just letters and flyers. We also hope that there will still some dates be added and maybe also a mini-tour, but we will see what the future will bring. A very cool thing would be to play in the united states again.
- Thank you, Thomas. Would you like to say some words in the end of this interview?
- Thank you very much Dima for this very interesting interview to answer. It was a pleasure for me. This was the first interview I did since many years. Thanx to all people which are supporting Profanity, the new friends and also those who were supporting us since the beginning days. Check out our new EP “Hatred Hell Within” out on Rising Nemesis Records.
Watch out for “The Art Of Sickness”. Support Death Metal!
Profanity homepage: www.profanity.de
Profanity facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ProfanityDeathMetal
Profanity onlineshop: http://profanitydeathmetal.bigcartel.com/
Profanity youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/nothingremain
Rising Nemesis Records: http://risingnemesisrecords.bigcartel.com/
Rising Nemesis Records facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RNRecords