- Hey, John! Adam Jarvis and you come from All Will Fall band. What is a current status of this band? Are you still active? Do you plan any further releases?
- Unfortunately All Will Fall is done. Gabe, our guitarist/songwriter/leader of the band had an unfortunate accident and is confined to a wheelchair. We had a "blast" in that band and actually have an album that was never properly mixed/mastered/released. If an offer came up where we could give all proceeds to Gabe and his children we'd release it in a heartbeat.
- Who came up first with the idea of creating Fulgora? How did you meet with B.L. Lamew, guitars/vocals?
- B. L. and I started the band in St Louis in 2012, we met in High School Algebra class around 1995. He sat directly behind me and was wearing a Tool shirt so we immediately hit it off. He showed me bands like Kyuss and Quicksand, and soon we started a band called "Thick". We headlined our hometown 4th of July celebration in 1997 w/ 7,000+ people in the park. All original stuff in the vein of Helmet. So we've been jamming together for a very long time, and Adam and I have been playing together our whole lives. There's home video of us performing Metallica tunes in grade school
- You are about to release your first album "Stratagem". How do you feel about it? Do you think you fulfilled your goals for 100% or is there still something left what you would like to change or improve?
- I'm very excited to finally get the tunes out, all in one package. It's basically a compilation album, with our first 2 singles "Risen/Artifice" and "Splinter/Crutch" along with new track "Meridian" and a couple samples in between. As far as changes, there's always little things, but I like the loose rawness of our recordings. It's definitely not too polished or "fake" sounding
- What is the general message you want to express with your music?
- Each song has its own theme, maybe not necessarily a message, that's for the listener to decipher. A lot like a film, I think the songs can be interpreted many different ways.
- "Stratagem" will be released by Housecore Records. How was it to work with Phil Anselmo? Did the cooperation with him influenced somehow your sound?
- Phil is basically the best dude ever. Recently we were recording a new track at his house, and he gave a suggestion on a bass line. We tried it out and he said "it was worth a try but it's not working." I then changed it up a little bit, then he changed something about that, and bam.... New bass line. He could have sat there and pressed record, but he actually cares enough to help out, which is awesome.
- To promote the song "Meridian" from the upcoming CD you released a video, featuring some cuts from Alexandro Jodorowsky movies. How do you associate his creation with your music?
- B. L. has made a few videos, all using clips from various sources/films. In "Meridians" case, the religious overtones of the song coincide with his images.
- Recently you joined Pig Destroyer and Agoraphobic Nosebleed at the position of the bass-player. Is it getting a bit complicated to be involved into so many projects? Which one is the priority for you at the moment?
- I'm actually in 6 bands at the moment, but none are really "full time" bands, and we are organized enough to make time for all of them. There have only been a couple times where we've had to turn down really cool offers due to other obligations.
- In May you are going to play at Maryland DeathFest. Agoraphobic Nosebleed is announced as one of the participants as well. Does it mean you'll have to perform on the stage twice during one festival?
- Yes 2 shows Saturday, May 23 at different venues. Fulgora will perform early Saturday on the main outdoor "Edison Lot" stage, and ANb will close it out at the Soundstage that night. The preparation for both sets have been a lot of fun. I've attended many MDF's in the past and I'm excited to finally get to play
- Thank you for the interview, John. In the end, could you share your touring plans? Is there any chance that we see you in Europe this year?
- Fulgora has a couple of USA festivals booked besides MDF that will be announced soon, and we hope to make it to Europe in the future. Pig Destroyer will be there! (Temples Festival/Obscene Extreme)
Pre-order your copy now!
GET YOUR COPY
OF THE NEW ISSUE