- Hello, Taylor! How are you doing? Is it always sunny in California?
- I'm not bad at the moment. It's not always sunny, but often. Without light there is no darkness.
- As far as I know, all of you are also members of Twitching Tongues. Could you please recall how the idea of creating Disgrace was born?
- Kyle & Mike were both in Creatures, and they decided to write some stuff outside the realm of that band, and it just sort of happened. They later asked me and Leo to join in. Leo later joined Twitching Tongues on second guitar, and Kyle on bass shortly after. Kind of accidental that all of Disgrace ended up in TT, but Disgrace already had a record out before the bands collided.
sort of "off-center" people, especially Leo and me.
- The album was recorded at Pit in Van Nuys, what could you say about the recording process? How long did you stay in the studio?
- The album was recorded between April and November 2014. It was split into two sessions musically, and then I did all the vocals toward the end. You can kind of hear the two different recording sessions on the album. I recorded the album so overall it was an easy task. Everyone was well-rehearsed.
- What did you try to reflect and show in your lyrics?
- Most of the lyrics are very personal, others are anti-authority. Uncreation specifically is about my, and Leo's occasional instability.
- Dan Seagrave created the artwork for your EP "Songs of Suffering". Did he also create the art for the "True Enemy"? Why did you decide to contact him?
- Yes he did the covers for both records, as well as the split with Harness. We kind of contacted him as a long shot thinking he would probably not want to work with us, but he did and we've had a working relationship ever since.
- Do you agree on the fact that sometimes your music is described as death/hardcore? With your words, what could you say about the style you play? Which bands had an influence on you?
- "Deathcore" is a tarnished name by today's standards, but we're certainly influenced by classic death metal bands, as well as other metallic hardcore bands. Bolt Thrower and Merauder were some major influences on the album.
- If you were asked to recommend only 3 songs from this new album, what songs would those be and why?
- I couldn't pick favorites but I think No More Fools, Slave to the Lead God and Uncreation would be the best representations of the album.
- Choosing between your other projects, can you say that Disgrace occupies the leading position?
- No. Twitching Tongues is pretty much all of our priority, and NAILS takes precedence over Disgrace for me as well. However, we love Disgrace and it is special to all of us. In my opinion, it is the best stuff Kyle, as a guitar player, has written so I can imagine there's a very deep personal connection for him, as well as Mike and Leo. We're all very proud of this album, and Disgrace in general.
- Did you know that it was exactly in California, in 1902, that the first cinema in America was opened? How do you like movies in general? Do you have any favourite genre or director?
- I didn't know that. I'm a big fan of film, and Sergio Leone is my favorite director.
- Can you imagine your music being a soundtrack to one of Arnold Schwarzenegger's movies? Which one would it be?
- Commando or Raw Deal
- Alright, Taylor, that would be it. Please tell us about your nearest future plans and say hello to our readers.
- Disgrace will be doing some touring in the USA & Europe, and maybe Japan in the near future!