- Hey, Phil and James! How are you doing? How are the pre-release preparations going?
- (Phil) Hello Dima! First and fore most...thanks for being interested in Prophecy and wanting to do a interview with us and also thanks to any one who reads this! We will never fail to realize that without the support of our friends and fans..we could not exist today as band or for as long as we have! Over the course of the past 24 years we have been very fortunate to have played many awesome shows with not only other bands that we are fans of our selves but new bands we have never heard of and like wise became fans of, and met many, many people who to this day, we proudly call friend and brother or sister and fan!
As far as the pre-release preparations...we have almost finished writing all the new songs that will be on our upcoming release and are excited for everyone that is a fan of Prophecy..or who likes death metal for that matter to hear our latest offerings to the world of death metal music. I myself can honestly say that I am proud of every song we have and truly believe that the new songs we have written show us although moving forward in a more diverse direction...at the same time we believe we have just expanded and added to our signature sound that any one who is familiar with us will enjoy. The new songs are just as heavy as we always like to write but just a little more technical.
- Recently you have revealed the upcoming CD cover which provoked many discussions. What is the band's perception and vision of it? Who helped you to create it?
- (Phil) It's funny you ask this. When we as a band started discussing what we wanted the new cover and release art work to look like..we all decided we wanted some thing that reflected us as a new whole if you will. We also wanted to have imagery that was different than what most of us are used to seeing as far as death metal album covers. Yes we realize that most death metal bands and albums are very well known for their violent imagery and content and although in the past we our selves have gone in that direction...as time has gone on for us...we have realized and formed the opinion that death metal is just as much about life and living as it is death. For me personally...it makes me appreciate life in itself much more because death metal is a constant reminder that life itself is an unthinking..unfeeling thing and is not some wonderful fantasy fairy tale existence where every thing works out in the end and there is nothing to fear. Life...just like death, can be brutal...and can occur in a instant...so I have come to truly appreciate life and the simplest things that much more.
So our cover art depicts life in a sense...plus...it truly is a new beginning for us. Any one who has been a fan of Prophecy for any length of time knows that we have gone through a legion of members lol..and the line up we have now has by far been the most stable we have ever had! Every member...Al,Ben,Trevor,James and myself have played many shows together...bonded as brothers and friends and have had a say and input in not only the creative process of Prophecy but the business side as well and that is how it should be...a band is a business of brotherhood. We all agreed on our new art work and we all love it..and besides..we are very excited to see and hear peoples reactions when they hear the songs and realize.."Some times you can't judge a band or a book by its cover" lol.
- (James) I first seen the image in my head. The image was first then the title. My first thoughts, and they still remain, are of it representing "THE BEGINNING" of my second life in Heaven with Almighty GOD. It also has another meaning. As Phil said, it represents "THE BEGINNING" of a new PROPHECY! THE BEGINNING OF A NEW AGE OF BRUTAL DEATH METAL!
- What can you tell us about the lyrics? Do you have any clear message behind it?
- (James) Our lyrics vary by the writer. Regardless of what we write about, either humerus or serious, it's the way that person thinks and feels. Expressing how we feel about that topic, whatever it is. We try to create the music to reflect the lyrics and lyrics to reflect the music. For each to compliment one another.
- (Phil) Me and James primarily write the lyrics and for my part...most of the things I write about are either politically related or have to deal with how I live my life and see not only what every one else sees in any given ordinary situation or event...but what some don't...in other words...I like to write about the obvious and the un obvious. Our bassist Al has also contributed lyrics we are using to describe our hatred for the radical and evil terrorist group ISIS...we see them as our generations version of the NAZI party!
- After listening to the song that you shared on your Facebook page, it's obvious that it will be the same good brutal death metal which Prophecy is known by. How could you describe the whole album?
- (Phil) I would say that our new songs show us evolving as musicians and although we have definitely gotten a little more technical and diverse in our style...there is still a sense of familiarity of our song writing..in other words..I like to think we have just added to our signature sound.
- The sound is clear and heavy, where are you recording your new stuff? Which label it will be distributed through?
- (Phil) We will use the same engineer we used for "Don't Fuckin' Mess With Texas" and the new single, "N.R.W.", Daniel Schmuck.
- (James) Until we decide otherwise, all PROPHECY related releases will be released by my label, Prophecy Records.
- Were you inspired by your previous works or did any other bands influence you this time? Or was it any other source of inspiration?
- (Phil) We find inspiration in life itself...and of course from the bands we are fans of and enjoy listening to.
- What would be your own prophecy regarding the upcoming album?
- (Phil) Well as any band would like to think...we hope we gain new fans and get known a little more in the death metal scene and the world of music in general and not lose any fans along the way we have already made. However, we are not concerned about ever getting rich or getting signed to a big label....we do this band because its fun and is a way for us to express our selves and as long as it doesn't cost money or cause damage to our existence..we will keep on doing it. Granted we are not opposed to bigger and better things happening for us if they do...but what ever happens to this band will be on our terms first and foremost because we are not desperate to sign any deal.
- (James) Phil pretty much took the words out of my mouth, ha! I don't think I can add anything to that.
- In your opinion, which CD in your discography has the most "tough riffs"? Or maybe you could name any specific songs?
- (Phil) I myself would have to say our last release "Don't Fucking Mess With Texas" has some amazingly brutal and memorable riffs. Def one of my personal favorites of our releases!
- (James) There are certain riffs, in my mind, that will forever stand out! Riffs that I still can't believe I wrote! Ha! And these are riffs in songs from every release! It's really amazing to see my own evolution in my musicianship. It takes a team effort to make the entire song, the entire release, sound and feel right/good.
- How do you plan to support the upcoming "The Beginning"? Will we have the opportunity to see you in Europe?
- (James) Our 5th headlining European tour (since our first in 2004) is set in May 2015. It's only 2 weeks. But it's going to be the heaviest, most brutal fuckin' 2 weeks ever! Huge thanks goes to my bro Vladimir of Fleshless / Nice To Eat You Records in Czech republic for all of his support and help with this tour and throughout the years!
-Regarding your live shows, how can you describe a usual Prophecy concert? And what do you prefer to see: more headbangers or more mosh, slamming and stage-diving?
- (Phil) I take very much pride in as the vocalist or live spokes man for Prophecy if you will in making sure that any one who pays to see us play feels like they are getting their moneys worth! I want them to know from the moment we walk on the stage until we walk off after the last song we played that we know the only reason we are playing on the stage in the first place is because they put us up there and help us to stay there by their support! We encourage a mosh pit...stage diving or what ever else you want to do...but we don't want to see our friends or fans get hurt at a show! I also tell a lot of stupid jokes in between and some people say I talk too much..but I can't help it..when I am up on stage...surrounded by my brothers..and look out and see people looking at us...waiting to hear us play..I just feel a rush and a desire to show them how much we appreciate them...that will never change!
- Have you seen the series of movies "Prophecy"? If yes, which part is your favorite? And in general, how often do you go to the cinema?
- (Phil) I have never seen them but when I hear of a new WWII or any military themed movie coming out..I am there on the opening day lol..I love war movies!
- (James) I've seen the first of the movie series called, "Prophecy", with Christopher Waulken. It was cool. Haven't seen any of the others. Phil and I both love War movies and War documentaries.
- Talking about the cinema and as the band is located in Texas, what is your attitude towards the famous "Texas Chainsaw Massacre"?
- (Phil) I am not a fan of the older version as much as the newer version with R Lee Ermey from Full Metal Jacket in it...he made it a classic lol
- (James) The first one is just classic. Not sure if you know this or not, but it's based on true events here in Texas. I'm not proud of that fact. However, I am a proud Texan, brother! I agree with Phil, R. Lee Ermey is the fuckin' shit! Haha!
- Alright, Phil and James, that's all for me. Thank you for this interview. Would you like to say a few words to our readers, your fans?
- (James and Phil) Again thank you Dima and to any one who read this and enjoyed what we had to say! We encourage any friend or fan of ours to contact us anytime! We honestly hate to refer to the people that support us as just "Fans"..to us...they are our friends..brothers and sisters united in life and death! Without them and their support...buying our music...coming to our shows..spreading the word about us...well..we would not be playing in the bar down the street much less Europe or any where else...no friends...no supporters or fans...there would be no band..whether it's Metallica..Cannibal Corpse..or the local band down the street! Thanks for a very fun and interesting interview Dima!
FROM ALL OF US IN PROPHECY TO ALL OF YOU...THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR YOUR TRUE SUPPORT!!!!! KEEP IT FUCKIN' BRUTAL!!!!!!!
KEEP IT FUCKIN' BRUTAL!!!!!!!
James / PROPHECY / Prophecy Records / TXDM FEST
BUY "Don't Fuckin' Mess With Texas" HERE!
©Copyright 1991-2015 Prophecy
®Trademark 2000-2015 Prophecy
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED