- Hello, Kirill! First of all, please, introduce VELD to our readers. What is the meaning of that name?
- VELD is a room of fear, one of the novels by Ray Bradbury.
The band was founded in early 1995 as V.E.L.D. We began as a Thrash Metal band with the following line-up: Andrey Semenjuk - bass/vocal, Konstantin Drozdov - guitars, Andrey Kudryavtsev - drums.
Changing a bit the style to more Death/Thrash, in 2001 we released our new album “Time is Now”.
We changed our name to just VELD an the same year we released our next album "Infested With Rats Life" through Fatal Ecstasy prod. In 2003 the band had another line-up changes and already in 2005, we spent some more time working on even more aggressive and fast material, and recorded the new album "End Of All", on label GO-Records.
In 2007 VELD recorded the new album "Love - Anguish - Hate", in Kiev Zaglada Studio.
After the recordings, our drummer and bass player left the band. So we found our new and more professional musicians. This year we plan to release the DVD “Overdose By Hatred” with concerts in Poland and Finland. Current line-up is: Kirill Bobrik - All Guitars & Vocals, Tomasz Wawrzak - Bass, Wojtek Slavinsky - Drums.
By the moment, VELD played several gigs together with such monsters as Napalm Death, Mayhem, Behemoth, Vader, Internal Suffering, Decapitated, Sinister etc.
- The band's name used to be written as V.E.L.D. What was the reason of this change?
- Name V.E.L.D. was made by our ex band leader Andrey Semenjuk. That's why I changed the name.
- Being a Belorussian band, you, however, have 2 Polish members. How did this symbiosis happened? How does this cultural fusion affect your music?
- Peter from Vader recommended those guys to me. We are good friends. It's really hard to find skilled musicians with the right attitude to the business in Belarus. Our band requires a very high level of performance. Influence and synthesis are only positive!
- You just released a brand new album "Daemonic: The Art of Dantalian". How would you comment on that title? What is the meaning behind it?
- Dantalian is a powerful Great Duke of Hell, with thirty-six legions of demons under his command. He is the 71st of 72 spirits of Solomon. He teaches all arts and sciences, and also declares the secret counsel of anyone, given that he knows the thoughts of all people and can change them at his will. He can also cause love and show the similitude of any person, show the same by means of a vision, and let them be in any part of the world they will.He is depicted as a man with many appearances, which means the faces of all men and women...
It inspired me very much and I'm really a big fan of Demonology. This theme goes perfectly well with our music, tone and mood.
- Where did you record the material? What could you say about your experience working in the studio?
- Album was recorded at Sinsinity Studio in Poland. Produced by VELD and Marek Bochenek who also worked with Yattering. Mastering was made in Sound Division studio that also works with Behemoth, Hate, Destruction, Decapitated and many more... Guitars were recorded in three heads: Engl Special Edition, Mesa Boogie and Randall Titan. The sound is very massive and low. It's seven string guitars with low tune.
- The artwork is quite interesting. Who is the artist? Who came up with that concept and idea?
- Yes. This art is amazing ! All work is made by mighty Vladimir "Smerdulak" Chebakov. Concept and all ideas are mine.
- Tell us a bit more about this CD edition. As I understood, there are even some signed copies available...
- Yes, right. With Lacerated Enemy Records we made only 30 signed copies of six pannel digi-pack for real true fans and collectors. Other CDs are not signed. And we made T-Shirts, posters and stickers for this edition. It's very cool.
- How did you get signed with Lacerated Enemy Records? Is it your first release with an European Label?
- Yes. It's our first release with really good label in Europe and they do really good job with promotion and other things. Lacerated Enemy found us and offered the deal. Naturally we could not refuse.
- Tell us a bit about the Belorussian Death Metal scene. What is the current situation? Which bands could you recommend?
- Belarussian scene has died long time ago. Except for a few bands that work hard and believe in their music and themselves. It's Infestum and Posthumous Blasphemer. And of course this is the main reason why VELD moved to Poland.
- Do you think there is any possibility for you to have a European Tour in support of your newest release?
- I think it's possible, time will show.
- Thank you for this interview, Kirill. Would you like to say anything in the end?
- I wish to all the fans of real quality music to listen to our last album "Daemonic: The Art Of Dantalian".
And I think for many people it is necessary to taste it!
Fountains Of Blood To Reach The Heavens !
Thanks for your interest to our band !