- Hello, Juanjo! Let's get back to the early 90s, tell us how Teratoma was created and who came up with the band's name? What was the story behind your another title, Suffering?
- Hi all, well teratoma was created in the early 1993. Tito, Jose David and I, were three friends crazy about death metal and we decided to form a band. Roque, drums, joined us months later only. Year later when we had problems to find a bass player I pass to play this instrument, finding Juanma to take care of the second guitar. There were too many groups called Suffering and we decided to get back to our old name, without changing the music and style.
- At that time, what was the local underground like? Did you have any big metal community around? How did you get involved into metal music?
- well, at that time the brutal death metal scene was not very large, we had good bands but they dissapeared. Barcelona has always had a good metal scene, with very good bands of different styles, many years ago. Heh, I heard the metal music when I was 10 years old, in 1985. My cousin listened to metal music and i liked it very much, he gave me some of his LPs, and normally I evolved to listening to thrash, death metal... making it my way of life
- Once you had your first line-up ready, where was your practice place? What kind of instruments and equipment did you use?
- Hahaha! We practiced in several places around the city. We used lots of models and brands of instruments, Washburn, Jackson and Krammer guitars, Marshall amp, Peavey bass amplifier and Esp bass, do not remember all now.
- You released your first Demo "...from Inside" in 1996 only. Why did it take you so long to do your first record?
- In Teratoma we have never liked the hurries, we were taking everything calmly.
- What can you say about this release? Where did you record it? Was it your first time in studio?
- It was recorded in a few small studios pull and out of Barcelona, it was our first official demo with four songs. The sound was more old school death metal than we have on the CD. not in my case, he had already recorded in 1992 another demo with a old black metal project.
- How did people take this record? What was the main feedback? Did you have many concerts back at that time?
- The reviews were very positive in the press of that time, the people accepted it incredibly, especially in the United States and Latin America, there were some concerts in the area with a lot of bands.
- 3 years after that Demo you released your debut Full-Length "The Terato-Genus Reborn". Where was the material recorded? Tell us a bit about the production part of this CD.
- That CD was recorder in October 98, but released in January 99. It was a real odyssey, our first label, Goremania, was closed while we were working in the studio on "Terato-genus Reborn". We had to temporarily suspend the recordings and look for some alternatives, as the amount of money we had left was not enough to finish anything! After many headaches, our friend Mike Fleshfeast offered us to distribute the CD, but even so we had to take care of all costs, even paying the license to k-industrial. Flesfeast was a small seal, and the album had little distribution
- Who created the artwork? Does it fully reflect the content of your songs? What are your lyrics about?
- It's the work of our friend Javi “Freak” Contributor from prestigious 80/90s Spanish magazine “Metallik-o. Javi also created the cover of Murder Corporation´s “Kill!!!” EP.
Our lyrics are about the horror in general, fear, any kind of phobias... And everything related to human pain!
- In 2002 Teratoma was disbanded, what was the reason for such a decision?
- In 2001 we recorded a promo with new songs, but musically the result was disastrous, because the studio technicians had no idea of extreme metal and botched with arranging and mixing. This definitely discouraged the group, so it was decided to put an end to Teratoma.
- And now, 13 years after your split-up, you are back. Who came up with the idea of the reunion? What is the current line-up?
- A few months ago I created Teratoma´s tribute Facebook page, something that made us remember good old stories and encouraged us to come back again. The current lineup is: Juanma, guitar, Sergi on drums, Tito on vocals and me on the second guitar.
- As far as I know, Xtreem Music is going to re-release your "The Terato-Genus Reborn". Tell us about this edition. Will there be the first demo included as well?
- At least not that we know. We know Dave for many years, but no one in Xtreem never contacted us regarding the reissue of our material.
- Are you rehearsing any new tracks? Do you already have any plans for a new album?
- For now we are recovering our old songs from the Demo and our full-length "Terato - Genus Reborn", and arrange them to our current sound, more old school way but always being Teratoma. The idea of recording new material in in near future as well.
- Thank you for this interview, Juanjo. Would you share with us your plans for the near future? Would you like to say any words in the end?
- Thank you! We plan to continue playing our music, if you like brutal death metal then listen to us. Enjoy death metal !!!