- Hey, Gaut! First of all, could you introduce your band to our readers, please?
- Hey ! So we are Darkall Slaves, a french Brutal Death Metal band created in 2005. We are mainly influenced by US-styled BDM like Disgorge (US), Gorgasm, Hate Eternal, Unmerciful, Origin, Severed Savior, Defeated Sanity , Hour Of Penance, Septycal Gorge... We've released 2 EPs (2008 and 2013), and our debut-album in 2014, "Transcendental State of Absolute Suffering", on Permeated Records. We've been invited to play Death Metal festivals as Belgium’s Mass Deathstruction, Holland’s Neurotic Deathfest official after party (Little Devil), Antwerp Deathfest, Ludwigshafen Deathfest, Houten Deathfest or share the stage with our renewed peers (Defeated Sanity, Gorgasm, Centurian, Cerebral Effusion, God Dethroned, Hideous Divinity, Carnivore Diprosopus, Fleshless, Hate, Lividity, Sinister, Vital Remains, etc.).
- In 2014, you released your first full-length, where was it recorded? How could you describe your music in general?
- It has been recorded 70% at home, we have a bit of recording equipments. Only drums were tracked in Studio de la Forge, Gorgor's studio (drummer of Agressor). As we said, our music is influenced by US Brutal Death Metal, so we try to play fast, brutal and relentless.
- How did you like the cooperation with TsunTsun Productions? The final result on the CD is quite brutal.
- Sasha is very professional and a very good guy, it's always a pleasure to work with him ! He's a really talented guy, very patient and serious in his work.
We didn't had a clear idea regarding the sound which would match our music, so we worked hard with him to find something that satisfy us all. Glad you like it !
- The album cover looks pretty much oldschool and sick. Who was responsible for its creation?
- The cover art was created by Toshihiro Egawa, one of our favorite artist ! We are long time fans of his work, he did so many excellent cover arts (Lividity, Visceral Disgorge, Defeated Sanity,etc.).
- Do you think it reflects what you wanted to say with your music or you just wanted a cool, gory artwork?
- Absolutely, this artwork matches perfectly with our theme and concept. Even though the art was redeemed from Soulflesh Collector Records, it's a really good illustration of the the idea behind the album title, "Transcendental State Of Absolute Suffering".
- The album starts with a spooky intro, does it come from any horror movie?
- In fact I've created this intro with multiple sounds, effects or soundtracks from different horror movies or video games. It's a mix of Hellraiser, Hostel, Martyrs and Conjuring samples for the movies part, and some soundtrack effects from Outlast (survival horror video game).
- How did you become a part of Permeated Records? Did you have any other labels to choose from?
- We were previously signed on Kaotoxin Records, a french label, on which we've released our 2013 EP "Abysses of Seclusion". We were in the same time in contact with Stefan Meraner (boss of Permeated Records), he follows us since our 2008 promo cd. We had some disagreements with Kaotoxin Records, and in the same time we met Matteo Bazzanella (singer of Indecent Excision, and friend of Stefan Meraner) in Houten Deathfest, and he told us Permeated was still interested by signing Darkall Slaves for our debut album. Following that, we received a very interesting deal from PR. Many excellent bands have been signed on Permeated, it has always been a reference in the Brutal Death world, so release our album on this label is a great honor for us.
- Being a French band, how do you find the local scene? Would you recommend any interesting bands?
- We have a great and active local and national scene for the metal in general. About Death Metal we got some famous bands like LOUDBLAST, or SUPURATION in north of France and the almighty KRONOS for the national scene. But I would like to see more Brutal Death metal bands in France, there's excellent BDM in Europe, but not so many in France.
Btw, I would highly recommend to hear the killer stuff from UNSU and TREPAN DEAD for the grincore part, DEVOUR THE FETUS, PSYCHOBOLIA and DISGRASEED for the DM part!
- What are your plans for the nearest future? Can we expect to see you touring?
- Yes touring of course, we already have some gigs planned, and others to be announced soon. We're also composing, writing new riffs for our 2nd album. Still a lot of work, but can't wait to play new songs live !
- Thank you, Gaut! Do you have anything to say to your fans?
- Thank you very much for the interview ! Keep up the great work and support the underground scene !